How eco-friendly are Saatva's mattress materials?
Share your experience with Saatva's eco-friendly materials
Saatva's website says, "The materials in our mattresses, like organic cotton, recycled steel, and eco-friendly foams, are healthier for you and the planet. Eco-consciousness is at the heart of everything we do, starting with our online-only business model."
Sleep Help gives a very detailed review about Saatva's sourcing and materials, saying, "The Saatva bed is not 100% organic, although they do use recycled steel for the support core, a hypoallergenic organic cotton outer cover, and memory foam that meets eco-friendly standards. The natural thistle barrier of the mattress cover is a plant based fiber mesh that creates flame retardant barrier without harmful chemicals.
Supplied out of Council Bluffs, Iowa, the memory foam layer is CertiPUR-US certified, which means it meets low emission VOCs for indoor air quality and is made without ozone depleters, PBDEs, mercury, lead, other heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates."
Saatva produces luxury innerspring mattresses that use organic cotton covers. Their matresses also use “bio-based foams” on top of its steel coil construction. Memory foams are created using petrochemicals unless stated otherwise. However, no credible studies have shown these chemicals to be harmful to human beings.
In the case of Saatva mattresses, 30% of each mattress is made from plant based foams. Therefore, the other 70% most likely comes from petrochemicals. So, while the mattress isn’t completely organic, 30% is very high amount of organic material relative to other manufacturers. So we can consider Saatva’s matresses to be eco friendly.
More information available on Saatva's website.
Saatva mattresses are not completely organic, but the company has made conscious efforts to create environmentally-safe beds. Although, Saatva does use memory foam it also utilizes plant-based foams so as to reduce the amount of chemicals within the mattress.
The company uses an organic cotton covering, which creates a natural thistle barrier that makes the mattress flame retardant. Plus as an added bonus, the cotton blend is made with hypoallergenic fibers.
Saatva also uses recycled steel during its manufacturing process, which basically means it is reducing the amount of energy necessary to build a mattress. Thus, Saatva's overall carbon footprint is much lower than that of other popular mattress companies.
All in al, the company has made great strides to creating an eco-friendly mattress option.